On Tuesday, the Capital City Museum revealed a new exhibit featuring the Sanborn Fire and Insurance Maps of Frankfort from 1886-1955. Board members, VIPs and guests were invited to the ribbon cutting of the new temporary exhibit at the museum, which is located at 325 Ann Street. The exhibit is open during regular museum hours through the fall. These maps are a slice of Frankfort history and represent what once was. Over 80% of the buildings represented on these maps no longer exist.
About the Sanborn Fire and Insurance Maps
The Sanborn Maps were originally created for assessing fire insurance liability in urbanized areas in the United States. The maps include detailed information regarding town and building information in approximately 12,000 US towns and cities from 1867 to 2007. Author Kim Keister describes the legacy of Sanborn maps: “Stated simply, the Sanborn maps survive as a guide to American urbanization that is unrivaled by other cartography and, for that matter, by few documentary resources of any kind.” They are a highly useful resource for historical research, planning, preservation, genealogical research, sociological studies and research of urban geography.
Today, Sanborn maps are found primarily in the archives and special collections of town halls and public and university libraries, and remain a vital resource for people in many different fields. Historical research is the most obvious use, with the maps facilitating the study of urban growth and decline patterns, and for research into the evolution of specific buildings, sites and districts. Genealogists use the maps to locate the residences and workplaces of ancestors. Planners use the maps to study historic urban planning designs. Historic preservationists use the maps to understand the significance and historical evolution of buildings, including their historic uses and building materials in conservation and rehabilitation efforts. Demographers and urban geographers use them to study patterns of growth and migration of populations.